A few words from Peter Tromans about the people that make the company.
We started Ocean Wave Engineering so that Luc Vanderschuren and I could pursue our interests in severe oceanographic and meteorological conditions and their consequences for offshore structures. We were soon joined by Bill Prior-Jones, a very experienced and respected oceanographer and data analyst, who now takes care of our administration. Though we are a small group, we have extensive experience and augment our capacity through longstanding associations with academics, research institutes and other consultants.
Recently, Jan Willem van de Graaf started working with us. He has 40 years of experience in structural analysis, offshore design and installation. He is a great expert in the non-linear analysis of structural strength and large displacement problems.
Sadly, we lost Luc to a massive heart attack at the beginning of 2018. He was a fine engineer and a world class numerical mathematician. The best of our software is his creation. In future, we may provide some of his numerical schemes available for download.
There’s a list of our areas of expertise on the home page. We have exercised it in numerous design, development, re-assessment, and research projects with major oil companies, the UK HSE, and the European Commission. Two notable projects include response-based design and reliability studies of the world’s largest floater and the reliability analysis of a fixed platform that, in its day, was the world’s largest gas producer.
You can learn more about us by googling our names, reading the blog pages that we will progressively add to the site or looking through the publications list below.
- J.L.J. Rosenfeld, P.A. Searson, D.C. Strachan and P.S. Tromans, “Experiments on the incendivity of radio-frequency, breakflash discharges,” The Radio and Electronic Engineer, Journal of the I.E.R.E., 51, p. 175, winner of Clerk Maxwell Prize, 1981.
- J.B. Cole, M.D. Swords and P.S. Tromans, “A proposed method of measuring turbulent length scales using laser Doppler anemometry and photo-correlation,” J. Phys. D – Applied Physics, vol. 13, no. 7, p. 1137-1143, 1980.
- P.S. Tromans, “The interaction between strain fields and flames – a possible source of combustion variations in spark-ignition engines”, A.S.M.E. Symposium on Fluid Mechanics of Combustion Systems, Boulder, Colorado, U.S.A., June 1981.
- H. Daneshyar, J.M.C. Mendes-Lopes, P.S. Tromans and G.S.S. Ludford, “The influence of straining on a pre-mixed flame and its relevance to combustion in spark ignition engines”, I. Mech. E paper C50/83, International Conference on Combustion in Engineering, Oxford, 1983.
- P.S. Tromans and S.J. O’Connor, “Influence of turbulent motion on spark ignition”, Progress in Astronautics and Aeronautics vol. 95, Dynamics of Flames and Reactive Systems (also Ninth Int. Colloq. on the Dynamics of Explosions and Reactive Systems, Poitiers, France, July 1984), AIAA, New York, 1984.
- P.S. Tromans and R.M. Furzeland, “A numerical analysis of the ignition of pre-mixed gases by local heat addition”, Progress in Astronautics and Aeronautics vol. 105 pt II, Dynamics of Reactive Systems (also Tenth Int. Colloq. on the Dynamics of Explosions and Reactive Systems, Berkeley, California, U.S.A., August 1985), AIAA, New York, 1986.
- P.S. Tromans and R.M. Furzeland, “An analysis of Lewis number and flow effects on the ignition of pre-mixed gases”, Proceedings of 21st International Symposium on Combustion, Munich, p.1891-1897, The Combustion Institute, 1986.
- J.W. van de Graaf and P.S. Tromans, “Statistical verification of predicted loading and ultimate strength against observed storm damage for an offshore structure”, paper OTC 6573, Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, 1991.
- P.S. Tromans, A.R. Anaturk and P.M. Hagemeijer, “A new model for the kinematics of large ocean waves – application as a design wave”, The First International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conf., Edinburgh, Int. Soc. of Offshore and Polar Engs., 1991.
- P.S. Tromans and J.W. van de Graaf, “A substantiated risk assessment of a jacket structure”, paper OTC 7075, Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, 1992. (Also published in A.S.C.E. Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal and Ocean Engg., 120, no.6, pp. 535-556, 1994.)
- P.S. Tromans and P.M. Hagemeijer and H.R. Wassink, “The statistics of the extreme response of offshore structures”, Ocean Engineering, 19, p. 161, 1992.
- P.S. Tromans and T. Elzinga, “Validation of a new wave theory and RDWF predictions against measured global loads on a North Sea jacket, Behaviour of Offshore Structures Conf., London, 1992.
- P.S. Tromans, M. Efthymiou, J.W. van de Graaf, L. Vanderschuren and P.H. Taylor, “Extreme storm loading on fixed offshore platforms”, Behaviour of Offshore Structures Conf., London, 1992.
- A.R. Anaturk, P.S. Tromans, H.C. van Hazendonk, C.M. Sluis and A. Otter, “Drag force on cylinders oscillating at small amplitude : a new model”, 114, p. 91, J. Offshore Mechs. and Arctic Engg., ASME, 1992.
- G. Stewart and P.S. Tromans, “Non-linear re-assessment of jacket structures under extreme storm cyclic loading”, Offshore Mechs. and Arctic Engg. Conf, ASME, Glasgow, 1993.
- J.B. Rozario, P.S. Tromans, P.H. Taylor and M. Efthymiou, “Comparison of loads predicted using “New wave” and other wave models against measurements on the Tern structure”, Underwater Technology (Ocean Science and Offshore Engineering), 19, 2 p. 24, 1993 (also in Proceedings of the Society of Underwater Techn. Conf. on Wave Loading, 1993).
- M. Si Boon Ing, L. Vanderschuren, J.W. van de Graaf and P.S. Tromans, “The risk of failure of a southern North Sea jacket under environmental loading”, The Third International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conf., Singapore, Int. Soc. of Offshore and Polar Engs., 1993.
- J.W. van de Graaf, P.S. Tromans, L. Vanderschuren and B.H. Jukui, “Failure probability of a jack-up under environmental loading in the central North Sea”, The jack-up drilling platform, Int. Conf. at City Univ., London, Sept., 1993.
- P.S. Tromans, J.B. Rozario, L. Vanderschuren, P.H. Taylor and J.W. van de Graaf, “New models for extreme storm loading and the reliability of fixed offshore structures”, Int. Conf. on API RP2A-LRFD, Society of Underwater Technology, London, Nov., 1993.
- J.W. van de Graaf, M. Efthymiou and P.S. Tromans , “Implied reliability levels from RP 2A-LRFD studies of North Sea platforms”, Int. Conf. on API RP2A-LRFD, Society of Underwater Technology, London, Nov., 1993.
- J.W. van de Graaf, P.S. Tromans and M. Efthymiou, “The reliability of offshore structures and its dependence on design code and environment”, OTC 7382, Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, 1994.
- P. Jonathan, P.H. Taylor and P.S. Tromans, “Storm waves in the Northern North Sea”, Behaviour of Offshore Structures Conf., Boston, 1994.
- P.S. Tromans and L. Vanderschuren, “Response based design conditions in the North Sea: application of a new method”, OTC 7683, Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, 1995.
- G.Y. Buss and P.S. Tromans, “Reduced purge rates in natural gas vent stacks”, Proc. 2nd I. Chem. E. Major Hazards Onshore and Offshore Symposium (IChE symp. ser. no. 139), Manchester, October 1995, pp. 595-607, 1995.
- M. Efthymiou, J.W. van de Graaf, P.S. Tromans and I.M. Hines, “Reliability based criteria for fixed steel offshore platforms”, OMAE96, 15’th Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering Conference, Florence, 1996. (Winner of best paper award).
- L. Vanderschuren, M. Efthymiou, P.S. Tromans and J.W. van de Graaf, “Reliability of a jacket structure in a tropical cyclone environment”, OMAE96, 15’th Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering Conference, Florence, 1996.
- P.S. Tromans and J. van Dam, “The probability distribution of extreme wave load on space frame ocean structures”, OMAE96, 15’th Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering Conference, Florence, 1996.
- M. Efthymiou, J.W. van de Graaf, P.S. Tromans and I.M. Hines, “Reliability based factors for fixed steel offshore structural design”, Eupropean Safety and Reliability Symposium, Lisbon, 1997.
- L. Vanderschuren, P.S. Tromans and M. Bloesma, “Strongly directional currents in the calculation of extreme load statistics,” Reliability Engineering and System Safety, v 61, pp 151-158, 1998.
- P.S. Tromans and I. Ketut Suastika, “Spectral response surfaces, designer waves and the ringing of offshore structures,” OTRC Symposium Wave’98, Ocean Wave Kinematics, Dynamics and Loads on Structures, ASCE, Houston, 1998.
- P.S. Tromans and G.Z. Forristall, “What is the appropriate wind gust averaging period for extreme force calculations?” OTC8908, Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, 1998.
- P.S. Tromans and P.H. Taylor, “The shapes, histories and statistics of extreme wave crests,” OMAE98, 17’th Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering Conference, Lisbon, 1998
- P.S. Tromans and L. Vanderschuren, “Extreme environmental load statistics in UK waters,” HSE Offshore Technology Report 2000/066.
- P.S. Tromans and L. Vanderschuren, “Response based design of floaters,” Talk to OGP workshop: “The metocean and Engineering technology requirements for floating systems workshop”, St Albans, 2001.
- P.S. Tromans and L. Vanderschuren, “A spectral response surface method for calculating crest elevation statistics,” ASME Journal of Offshore Mechanics & Arctic Engg., v 126, n 1, 2004.
- R. Gibson, C. Swan, and P.S. Tromans, “Crest statistics of non-linear waves,” Workshop on Wave Hindcasting, Banff, Canada, 2002
- K.C. Ewans, C. van der Valk, C. Shaw, J. den Haan, P.S. Tromans, and L. Vanderschuren, “Oceanographic and motion statistics of a weathervaning FPSO,” OMAE03, 22nd Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering Conference, Cancun, 2003 (OMAE 2003-37394), accepted for publication in ASME Journal of Offshore Mechanics & Arctic Engg.
- G.Z. Forristall, S.F. Barstow, H.E. Krogstad, M. Prevosto, P.H. Taylor, & P.S Tromans, Wave crest sensor intercomparison study: an overview of WACSIS. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering 126, 26-34, 2004.
- R. Gibson, C. Swan, P.S. Tromans, and L. Vanderschuren, “Wave crest statistics calculated using a fully non-linear response surface method,” Symp. Freak Waves, Brest, France, 2004.
- K.C. Ewans, P.S. Tromans, and L. Vanderschuren, “Estimating wind-sea and swell for FPSO operability,” OMAE-FPSO’04, Proc. OMAE Speciality Conference on Integrity of Floating Production, Storage & Offloading Systems, 2004, Houston Texas (OMAE-FPSO’04-0074), accepted for publication in ASME Journal of Offshore Mechanics & Arctic Engg.
- P.S. Tromans, C. Swan, and S. Masterton, “Non-linear potential flow forcing: the ringing of concrete gravity based structures,” HSE Research Report 468, 2006.
- R. Gibson, C. Swan, and P.S. Tromans, “Fully non-linear statistics of wave crest elevation calculated using a response surface method: application to uni-directional sea states,” J. Phys. Oceanography, pp 3-15, v 37, issue 1, 2007
- D. A. G. Walker, P. H. Taylor, R. Eatock Taylor, P. S. Tromans, & J. Zang, Water wave diffraction and the spectral response surface method. International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering, 17, 254-258, 2007.
- P.S. Tromans, L. Vanderschuren, K.C. Ewans, “The second order statistics of high waves in wind-sea and swell,” OMAE2007-29676, and J. Offshore Mech. and Arct. Eng. 133, 3, 2011.
- P.S. Tromans, “How quartet resonance might or might not amplify large waves into freak waves,” OMAE2011-4982.
- P.S. Tromans, “Wave loads on the sub-structures and decks of fixed steel platforms,” Proc. Offshore Structural Reliability Conf. 2014OSRC, Houston, TX, USA, 2014.
- Hennig J, Scharnke J, Swan C, Hagen Ø, Ewans K, Tromans P & Forristall G, 2015, Effect of Short-Crestedness on Extreme Wave Impact: A Summary of Findings From the Joint Industry Project “ShorTCresT”, Proceedings of OMAE Conference, St John’s.
- P.S. Tromans, “Hydrodynamics of sub-structure and wave-in-deck loading on fixed steel platforms,” contribution to the Encyclopaedia of Marine and Offshore Engineering, Wiley, 2017
- P.S. Tromans and L. Vanderschuren, “Wave loads on offshore structures,” 7th Int. Conf. on Experiments, Process, System Modelling and Simulation Optimisation 7IC-EPSMSO, Athens, 2017.
- Brown A, Gorter W, Vanderschuren L, Tromans P, Jonathan P & Verlaan P, 2017, “Design Approach for Turret Moored Vessels in Highly Variable Squall Conditions,” Proceedings of OMAE Conference, Trondheim.
- Tang, T, Tromans, P.S., Adcock, T.A.A., “Field measurements of nonlinear changes to large gravity wave groups,” J. of Fluid Mechanics, 2019